This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH][BZ #13724] Do not segfault in pthread_setname_np (x, NULL)
- From: Roland McGrath <roland at hack dot frob dot com>
- To: "Carlos O'Donell" <carlos at redhat dot com>
- Cc: OndÅej BÃlka <neleai at seznam dot cz>, libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 15:40:55 -0700 (PDT)
- Subject: Re: [PATCH][BZ #13724] Do not segfault in pthread_setname_np (x, NULL)
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20131003122009 dot GA8891 at domone dot podge> <524DCA52 dot 2030609 at redhat dot com>
> I agree with Jeff Law on this one, this is not a performance
> critical routine and checking arguments and returning EFAULT
> is good for QoI.
Historically we've considered it a QoI feature not to mask user bugs in
this way. If passing a bad pointer has undefined behavior, it is far more
useful in the long run if it crashes quickly rather than diagnosing an
error that is probably ignored by the flaky caller.