Re: Kill libc-ports?

On 09/10/2013 08:11 AM, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> The real bottleneck for casual contributors is arcane ChangeLog
> nonsense and FSF copyright assignment, one of which is slightly
> useful.  I still don't see how putting architecture maintainers in a
> silo makes it easier for them to make prompt architecture updates
> where required.

The important issue is that some maintainers are expressing a desire
to have a simple channel for communicating machine-wide changes
that require maintainer response. It is my opinion that this is
orthogonal to this entire discussion, but is being co-opted since
libc-ports could serve this purpose.

I see the following requirements surfacing:

(a) A need a place to discuss day-to-day development.

(b) Some maintainers have requested that machine-wide changes
    be broadcast in a special way that reaches them and so that
    they can respond quickly.

This appears to map nicely to:

(1) libc-alpha

(2) libc-ports

It is my opinion that rationale about list volume are not
relevant to this discussion. As the glibc community we should
listen to our maintainer requests and attempt to build a
community that meets their needs and workflows.

What do we gain from merging libc-ports that we loose by
making Joseph or Chris need to filter through more email?

I argue that the prime directive is violated. Chris and
Joseph as core maintainers have expressed a desire to
simplify the workflow and reduce their wasted time. I
can't disagree with them. I would also like such a list
for hppa work :-)

Cheers,
Carlos.