This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH] Unify pthread_once (bug 15215)
- From: OndÅej BÃlka <neleai at seznam dot cz>
- To: Carlos O'Donell <carlos at redhat dot com>
- Cc: Torvald Riegel <triegel at redhat dot com>, GLIBC Devel <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>, libc-ports <libc-ports at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 14:49:55 +0200
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Unify pthread_once (bug 15215)
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1368024237 dot 7774 dot 794 dot camel at triegel dot csb> <519D97E4 dot 4030808 at redhat dot com>
On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 12:15:32AM -0400, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> On 05/08/2013 10:43 AM, Torvald Riegel wrote:
> > Note that this will make a call to pthread_once that doesn't need to
> > actually run the init routine slightly slower due to the additional
> > acquire barrier. If you're really concerned about this overhead, speak
> > up. There are ways to avoid it, but it comes with additional complexity
> > and bookkeeping.
> We want correctness. This is a place where correctness is infinitely
> more important than speed. We should be correct first and then we
> should argue about how to make it fast.
As pthread_once calls tend to be called once per thread performance is
not an issue.
> > If there's no objection to the essence of this patch, I'll post another
> > patch that actually replaces I1 and I2 with the modified variant in the
> > attached patch.
> Please repost.
We wait for new version.