This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: Request for comments: reserving a value for O_SEARCH and O_EXEC
- From: "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal dot cx>
- Cc: Christoph Hellwig <hch at lst dot de>, <linux-api at vger dot kernel dot org>, <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 15:53:29 +0000
- Subject: Re: Request for comments: reserving a value for O_SEARCH and O_EXEC
- References: <20130805222544 dot GA19168 at brightrain dot aerifal dot cx> <20130806055425 dot GA9280 at lst dot de> <20130806134254 dot GT221 at brightrain dot aerifal dot cx> <20130806140321 dot GA4421 at lst dot de> <20130806143609 dot GV221 at brightrain dot aerifal dot cx> <20130806145159 dot GA8192 at lst dot de> <20130806152316 dot GW221 at brightrain dot aerifal dot cx>
On Tue, 6 Aug 2013, Rich Felker wrote:
> Of course, the userspace fallback code could detect such failures and
> retry with O_RDONLY, so maybe it's not such a big issue. With a
> working O_PATH, open should never fail with EISDIR or EACCES, so these
> errors could be used as a condition to retry.
Surely you'll still get EACCES when some component in the specified path,
not the last one, lacks search permission?
Joseph S. Myers