Link mail message with git notes

On Tue, Apr 02, 2013 at 01:31:59PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:

> my only recourse is to take that commit message and search the mailing lists
> and *hope* that i find it on one of the public ones related to the project.
> this works a good amount of the time (i'd say ~85%), but it's very time
> consuming.

What about having something like

$ git log
Notes:

Linking can be done retrospectively with script that automates
searching in archives.

Then adding note would be done in post-commit hook.

Probably someone already has script that does something similar. I would
be grateful if I did not have to reinvent wheel.

>  what makes it even worse is mailman's archiving behavior of
> splitting across months.  the original message might be in one month, and
> follow up responses might happen in a different one, or even spread across a
> few.  this makes coordinating things even more of a pita.

Perhaps write to mailman developers? I looked for alternatives and they
also split across months.