Re: GNU Tools Cauldron 2013 - 2nd Call for Abstracts

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 12:36 AM, Siddhesh Poyarekar <siddhesh@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 03:13:46PM -0500, Diego Novillo wrote:
>> This time we will meet at Google Headquarters in Mountain View,
>> California from 12/Jul/2013 to 14/Jul/2013.
> <snip>
>> - BoFs: coordination meetings with other developers.
>
> This should be close enough to planning for 2.19, so it might be a
> good time to have a glibc BoF.

A GNU C Library BOF has been proposed and accepted for GNU Cauldron 2013.

~~~
The GNU C Library is used as the C library in the GNU systems
and most systems with the Linux kernel. The library is
primarily designed to be a portable and high performance C
library.It follows all relevant standards including ISO C11
and POSIX.1-2008. It is also internationalized and has one of
the most complete internationalization interfaces known.

This BOF aims to bring together developers of other components
that have dependencies on glibc and glibc developers to talk
about the following topics:

* Planning for glibc 2.19 and what work needs to be done
   between the August -> December 2013 timeframe (2.19 development
   phase).

* Performance?
   - The project calls itself a "high performance C library", but
     we've never had a standard performance regression testsuite
   - How do we measure performance?
   - How do we track it?
   - What criteria do we use to evaluate patches based on performance?
   - Starting with libm e.g. accuracy vs. runtime performance.

* libm
   - Offer three libraries?
   - Slow high performance, middle of the road, high performance low precision.

* Tuning the C library?
   - What do we expose?
   - Why?
   - Hardware lock elision examples.
   - Runtime tuning.
   - Environment variables.

* POSIX conformance
   - The usual.

* ISO C11, and C++11
   - What's left?

* IPv4 and IPv6
   - getaddrinfo mess.
~~~

As always we will report back to the community about the things
discussed at the BOF.

The BOF is simply a good time to meet face-to-face and get to know eachother :-)

As I mentioned before I will likely be unable to attend the BOF in
person but will be there virtually.

Cheers,
Carlos.