Re: Checking that a memory area is empty

Dear Carlos,

Many thanks for having taken the time to write this second response
which I find very cool and wise.

Carlos O'Donell (2013/02/06 09:48 -0500):
> On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 9:39 AM, Shérab <Sebastien.Hinderer@ens-lyon.org> wrote:
> > Dear Carlos and all,
> >
> > Yes, of course, your response makes perfect sense. I'm grateful that
> > you have taken the time to write it, especially given that I'm really a
> > newbie knowing almost nothing.
> >
> > At this stage, I guess I'd be happy to receive an advice. In your
> > opinion, is the function I described worth the effort? I, personnally,
> > think it could be helpful to have such a funciton but I'd be happy to
> > read the opinions of much more experienced developers and to know whether
> > they think such a function would be interesting enough to justify
> > starting a discussion with the national body standards group?
>
> The function itself will not be worth the effort, but the journey of
> discovery you would undertake would be of immense value to
> your vocation as a software developer :-)

I'm fully convinced you are absolutely right and pretty sure I'd find
the experience very valuable.

> You've already shown an interest in the area of core libraries
> and have thought about what basic functional unit an application
> might use to do useful work. I would get involved in the standards
> process and see where it takes you.

Would I have the necessary time, I'd definitely follow this advice.
Unfortunately there are already too much projects I'm involved with and
I can hardly make them all move forward reasonably rapidly.

> If you feel like helping with the GNU C Library work I would suggest
> looking at our extensive todo lists:
> http://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/SmallProjects
> http://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Development_Todo/Master

Thanks for the pointers! Unfortunately it won't happen right now but if
one day I become less busy I'd be happy to contribute !

Unsubscribing from the list now because lack of time to follow it
seriously, but it was eally great to receive your responses. Thanks for
being so friendly and helpful and who knows, maybe one day I'll be back.

Best wishes to all,
Sherab.