Re: Redefinition of struct in6_addr in <netinet/in.h> and<linux/in6.h>

On Wed, 2013-01-16 at 12:04 -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 January 2013 10:47:12 Ben Hutchings wrote:

> > [...]
> >
> > > This is not a new issue.  In addition to this,
> > > netinet/in.h also conflits with linux/in.h.
> > >
> > > We might have
> > >
> > >  #if !defined(__GLIBC__) || !defined(_NETINET_IN_H)
> > >
> > >  #endif
> > >
> > > around those conflicting definitions in uapi/linux/in{,6}.h.
> >
> > This only solves half the problem, as <netinet/in.h> might be included
> > after <linux/in.h>.  Also, not all Linux userland uses glibc.
>
> certainly true, but the current expectation is that you don't mix your ABIs.

Whose expectation?  Which ABIs are being mixed?

> if you're programming with the C library API, then use the C library headers.
> if you're banging directly on the kernel, then use the kernel headers.  not
> saying it's a perfect solution, but it works for the vast majority of use
> cases.

In practice most C programs for Linux will use a mixture of thinly
wrapped system calls and higher-level APIs from the C library, and never
really call the kernel directly (as that requires inline assembler).
Userland programmers will work around this historical mess by tweaking
the #include order or splitting source files.  But they shouldn't have
to.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings, Staff Engineer, Solarflare
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.