Re: compiler standards (and/or min gcc version) supported withinstalled headers ?

On Thu, 3 Jan 2013, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> > right now, I would only mention GCC as supported compiler - and add
> > others only if somebody steps up that is using that compiler and will
> > take care of the support on glibc. nevertheless, I would be
> > conservate and handle GCC extensions as extensions - something we
> > need to test for before using it.
>
> Well in that case then the GLIBC_HAVE_BUILTIN_MEMSET is *assumed*
> since we support only GCC, and versions 2.91 or newer always
> have that builtin, so the code can be cleaned up?
>
> Did I understand that correctly?

No.  The point is that there should be feature tests before extensions are
used in installed headers.  I'd say 2.95 as minimum compiler should mean
that pre-2.95 GCC generally gets the non-GCC code if it doesn't have the
relevant feature (rather than having special handling to use some other
feature it might have that can substitute for the feature in newer GCC).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com