Re: Implementation of C11 Bounds-checking interfaces

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012, Rich Felker wrote:

> > The printf scanning for %n appears to be using parse_printf_format at
> > present (outside C11 namespace), and I'd be dubious of having these
> > functions scan in any way that isn't definitely identical to how the
> > underlying C library will then parse the string.
>
> I think it would be perfectly safe to parse it just according to the
> standard and reject anything that's not valid according to the
> standard as a constraint error. Even POSIX i18n formats could be
> rejected.

Having what are ostensibly variants of the same function behave
incompatibly like that seems a very bad idea to me.  If these functions
are included in the GNU system they should be consistent with the other
printf-family functions in the GNU system.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com