Re: Avoiding compiler warnings

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012, Marek Polacek wrote:

> With trunk gcc I'm seeing a few -Wstrict-aliasing warnings, two
> -Wstrict-aliasing and two -Wformat warnings (x86_64).  So we'd need to
> fix these...

One thing to consider is whether -Werror applies to testcases or just to
building installed files.  Some tests (in particular those for
_FORTIFY_SOURCE) have unavoidable warnings (use a blanket -Wno-error for
those?), but for *most* tests warnings may indicate problems with the test
code that are worth fixing.

Certainly we'd want clean build and test with -Werror enabled for at least
x86 and x86_64 with at least one GCC version, before possibly enabling by
default and asking architecture maintainers to do builds for their
architectures and fix issues found.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com