Re: [RFC/PATCH] do not run ldconfig with DESTDIR installs

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 10:46 AM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Sunday 12 August 2012 09:20:29 Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>> >
>> > looks like i misread the behavior here.  ldconfig does only access/write
>> > to things inside of the -r ROOT.  what threw me off was that if you run
>> > this as non-root, ldconfig uses full paths everywhere (ROOT/etc/...).
>> > but if you run it as root, it first does chroot(ROOT), then uses
>> > absolute paths after that (/etc...).  so if you miss that initial
>> > chroot(), it looks like ldconfig is crapping all over places it
>> > shouldn't.  so i guess i'll drop this patch from consideration.
>>
>> Given your confusion do you think we need better documentation?
>>
>> I would accept any trivial patch to add more comments to any set of
>> files that would have helped make this clearer to a future maintainer.
>
> the issue is that warnings issued after the chroot() lack the full path:
>
> $ ldconfig -r /tmp/ /foo
> ldconfig: Warning: ignoring configuration file that cannot be opened:
> /etc/ld.so.conf: No such file or directory
> ldconfig: Can't create temporary cache file /tmp/etc/ld.so.cache~: No such file
> or directory
>
> $ sudo ldconfig -r /tmp/ /foo
> ldconfig: Warning: ignoring configuration file that cannot be opened:
> /etc/ld.so.conf: No such file or directory
> ldconfig: Can't create temporary cache file /etc/ld.so.cache~: No such file or
> directory
>
> this is what led me down the route of looking at its behavior via strace.  so
> it might be possible to improve this.

If you aren't interested in fixing it could you file a bug and add it
to the Small Projects todo list?

http://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/SmallProjects

This way when we get a GSoC student or newbies looking for projects we
have a list of easy cleanups.

Cheers,
Carlos.