RFC: manual/contrib.texi

manual/contrib.texi has not been updated since 2002 and consists
currently of a list of old NEWS entries.

I propose to follow the GCC example - a bullet point list sorted per
contributor. For each contributor, we would add some description on
significant contribution.

I've started with writing this up and would like your feedback whether I
should continue this way. Ulrich's paragraph is rather long, suggestion
for better writing are appreciated.

I've also took the liberty to add my name as contact, if anybody likes
to help with this task, please speak up and I'll share the fun with you
(or pass it on ;)

Andreas

@Theglibc{} project would like to thank its many contributors.  Without them the
project would not have been nearly as successful as it has been.  Any omissions
in this list are accidental.  Feel free to contact
@email{aj@@suse.de} or @email{libc-alpha@@sourceware.org} if you have been left
out or some of your contributions are not listed.  Please keep this list in
alphabetical order.

@itemize @bullet

@item
Ulrich Drepper for his many contributions in all most all parts of
@theglibc{} including the internationalization support and the support
@code{locale} and @code{localedef}. He also contributed the port to
Linux i386/ELF (@code{i386-@var{anything}-linux}), the @code{hsearch}
and @code{drand48} families of functions; reentrant
@samp{@dots{}@code{_r}} versions of the @code{random} family; System V
shared memory and IPC support code; and several highly-optimized
string functions for i@var{x}86 processors. He also contributed many
math functions and the character conversion functions (@code{iconv}).

@item
Michael J. Haertel for writing the merge sort function @code{qsort}.

@item
@w{David J.} MacKenzie for his contribution to the @code{getopt}
function.

@item
@w{Roland McGrath] who wrote most of @theglibc{] originally, for his work
on the Hurd port and his direction as part of @theglibc{] steering
committee.

@item
Richard Stallman for his contribution to the @code{getopt} function.

@item
Douglas C. Schmidt for writing the quick sort function used as a
fallback by @code{qsort}.

  SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 NÃrnberg, Germany
   GF: Jeff Hawn,Jennifer Guild,Felix ImendÃrffer,HRB16746 (AG NÃrnberg)