Re: Fixed size of thread stacks in the nptl pthread implementation

On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 03:38:31PM +0530, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> stacks and the main thread stack behave and look. Among other things,
> the major difference for glibc would be that the stack can grow
> automatically like the main thread. Is there any reason why this

I guess the thread stack growth won't happen unless the guardsize is 0
or if the program intentionally skips over the guard pages since the
guard pages will stop the growth with a segfault. I could not see any
unintentional side-effects otherwise of this change. Can someone
please confirm that?

On a related note, would glibc benefit if thread stacks were allowed
to grow with the guard intact? This behaviour would be similar to the
guard page for the process stack, except that we could be talking
about guard pages instead of just a page.

--
Siddhesh