Re: (class=ham score=-4.96032) memmem.c improvement

Tor Myklebust wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Dec 2007, Christian Thaeter wrote:
>
>> Short story, 'memmem()' is a gnuish, nonstandard function. I wanted to
>> provide a generic fallback in some code. So, lets borrow it somewhere
>> else:
>>
>> First looking at git's compat/memmem.c which I found was suboptimal
>> with roughly O(M*N) performance (albeit ok for that case since it was
>> just a generic fallback).
>>
>> Well, second taking a look at glibc's source surprised me, there is
>> the same code as in git. I somewhat expected a faster implementation
>> from a generic C library.
>
> I don't think anybody involved with glibc really feels like having
> strstr() (or memmem(), for that matter) go fast.  (The grounds I heard
> were that "applications requiring large searches are more likely to have
> own fast string search implementations.')
>
>> That thought and done, the code is attached to this mail. The
>> algorithm is similar to the Rabin/Karp method for string searches but
>> uses a weaker and simpler additive rolling hash.
>
> There are rolling hashes based on arithmetic in fields of order 2^k.
> These can typically be computed using a bunch of bit-shifts and
> additions; have you tried using one?  There are lots of irreducible
> polynomials over Z_2 of degree k, so you can even fall back to a
> different one every few false positives.
>
>> The result is still somewhat like O(M+N) for most cases
>
> I don't think you get linear performance in the average case.  (But I do
> think you shave a factor of 256 off of the quadratic term.  The same
> algorithm, where your hash function is the population count, gives a
> collision between two random strings of length m with probability
> sum_(i=0)^m (m choose i)^2 / 4^m, which grows like sqrt(m).  Your
> algorithm helps this by a factor of 256.)
>
>> (There may be corner cases where it not that good, but its really hard
>> to imagine those).
>
> The needle "1100110011001100...1100" and the haystack
> "10101010101010...10" will produce quite a few false matches with your
> hash function (simply because every substring of the haystack of the
> appropriate length has the same hash as your needle).  (Making the
> needle "1010101010...101100" makes it even worse.)

I am fully aware that this is not the best possible search algorithm. It
is considerably better than the actual one for 'common' data. Having a
string with few symbols or other corner cases needs an algorithm better
suited for that task. But well, this was just reaching a low hanging
fruit. I just wanted to share it because it is better than the algorithm
which is in git and glibc, feel free to submit a even better one or keep
the old one, whatever. For me it suffices and I won't put more efforts
into improving or lobbying it, its just not worth it.

	Christian