Re: Do not define -mlong-double-128 on ppc when --without-fp specified?

libc-alpha-owner@sourceware.org wrote on 03/15/2006 07:56:34 PM:

> > While building glibc for target powerpc-linux with --without-fp,
> > gcc-4.1 is throwing warnings about "-msoft-float and -mlong-double-128
> > not supported"
>
> Sorry, it's going to be broken until someone volunteers to fill in the
> missing pieces.  We do not want to have different glibc ABIs for
different
> powerpc configurations.  The glibc ABI for powerpc will use IBM extended
> format for long double from now on, regardless of the particular hardware
> constraints you are configuring for.  To restore working support for
> --without-fpu powerpc configurations, GCC needs to be made to support it.
> This will require writing the soft-fp support for IBM extended format
that
> GCC will generate calls to.

I am looking into this, figuring out where all the parts are. But one thing
is clear the gcc bits will be in gcc-4.2 earliest.

As far as I can tell the (embedded toolchain) folks who would care are
still back on gcc-3.3 and glibc-2.3 anyway. So I don't see this as an
emergency. If not correct someone should tell me.

Steven J. Munroe
Linux on Power Toolchain Architect
IBM Corporation, Linux Technology Center