Re: Branches in CVS repository?

Andreas Schwab wrote:

Yes, but it contains code from other subdirectories.  For example, it
contains all the files in the top level directory, the stuff in intl/, the
stuff in libiberty/, and the stuff in opcodes/.  A branch made in the tree
I checked out for binutils will create branches in all of these places.
So, we need to get agreement that it's OK to create branches in those
directories as well.

All those directories and files are part of binutils.  Just because you
add a branch tag does not mean that you necessarily modify those files.

I'm certainly not trying to make things hard, but I'm surprised to hear you say that "intl/" and "libiberty/" are part of binutils. They're included in it, but, in my experience, DJ has not appreciated people making changes to libiberty/ without his approval.

One point of view here is that creating a branch, and then, perhaps, making modifications on the branch should not concern the original maintainers as you're not getting in their way. I'm happy with that point of view, but I would like to see everyone agree on it. I'd rather not go creating a branch and then find that people object.

Anyhow, since it seems like all the people involved in this discussion (with the exception of the still-slient libc folks) are in agreement that creating such a branch is OK, let's try to settle on a naming convention.

The informal GCC convention has been "<org>-<name>" where "org" is the initials of the organization creating the branch. For "CodeSourcery, LLC" that would be "csl"; for "Red Hat" it would be "rh". For an individual "Mark Patrick Mitchell" it would be "mpm". Then, the "name" is some organization-specific description of the branch. For example, "csl-arm" would be a CodeSourcery branch for doing ARM development. Does that sound OK to everyone?

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC