nss-ldap and ldap server

Hello,

I am having some issues with nss_ldap and since this
is part of glibc I am hoping to get some help.

I am using an ldap server as an NIS replacement and
have noticed that the server can be completed hosed by
just a couple of clients connecting and requesting
data.  I ran a simple test, ls -lR * across a bunch of
dirs that are owned by various people and found that
this simple test can consume 50% (of a dual 3.0GHz)
machine.  The queries seem to be odd, from ldap-nss.c
(do_search) the filter looks correct:
ou=people,o=foobar.com
(&(objectClass=posixAccount)(uidNumber=x), however, on
wire (ethereal) the search has a lot of trailing items
like it is iterating all the attributes that belong to
this class.  This appears to choke the server (SunOne
Directory 5.2).  If I run the search from ldapsearch
as in:
ldapsearch -x -W -b "ou=people,o=foobar.com"
"(&(objectclass=posixAccount)(uidNumber=<x>))" the
search is instantaneous and amounts to roughly %4 or
the machine.

So I guess, is this known and is there a solution?

Thanks!
Phy