re: [Help] __CTOR_END__

"C Jaiprakash, Noida" <cjaiprakash at noida dot hcltech dot com> wrote:
I am porting glibc for coldfire v4e. I am using glibc 2.3.2 as base
sources. I have almost done with it. glibc builds fine. But sofini.c file
when compiled have no __CTOR_END__ symbol. I suppose i have to compile this
file with -fno-unit-at-a-time option . But i am not sure where to put this
option? I am using gcc 3.4 and binutils 2.15.91. Is it correct to add something like CFLAGS-so-fini.c = -fno-unit-at-a-time
in elf/Makefile?

It might be more correct to ditch glibc-2.3.2 and use glibc-2.3.3 instead, I bet. It already has fixes for many problems like this. A little googling found this changeset which seems related:

+2003-07-22  Andreas Jaeger  <aj@suse.de>
+
+	* elf/readlib.c (process_file): Check that file is a shared
+	object.
+
+	* elf/sofini.c (__FRAME_END__): Use attribute used so that gcc
+	will not optimize it away.
+	(__DTOR_END__): Likewise.
+	(__CTOR_END__): Likewise.
+
+	* include/libc-symbols.h (_elf_set_element): Use attribute used so
+	that gcc will not optimize it away.
+	(link_warning): Likewise.

You can see the sofini.c part of that at
http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/libc/elf/sofini.c?cvsroot=glibc

- Dan

p.s. if you're unable to move to glibc-2.3.3 or cvs, the patches in
http://kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.28-rc36/patches/glibc-2.3.2
might be of some help to you, particularly glibc-2.3.2-allow-gcc-3.4-nounit.patch

You might find that crosstool is a good way to run regression tests
to make sure your changes don't break building glibc for other architectures;
it's easy to set up a build for all CPU types glibc supports using crosstool.