behavioral change in resolver: bug or bug-fix?

i noticed when upgrading from a version of glibc from around Aug 08 2004 (just
before the dns-canon changes) to a version from Sep 18 2004, a bunch of my
local hostnames suddenly became unresolvable

my setup is a small LAN with a whole lot of development machines ... on the
router which connects the LAN to the rest of the world i run a DNS server
with a /etc/hosts file which maps all the local development boxes into short
names so that i dont have to setup this mapping on all the boxes

sample dns mapping:
192.168.0.1: [home] router
192.168.0.2: [vapier] my desktop dev box
192.168.0.7: [aurora] my alpha dev box

now, before i would just say 'ssh aurora' and it would work, now i get
'unknown host' ... reverting to the older glibc and everything works ...
under the new glibc, things which dont use libresolv (like
nslookup/dig/etc...) work fine ...

i sniffed the dns traffic and here is what i saw:
20040808 glibc:
vapier -> home    query A aurora.wh0rd.org
home -> vapier    response A unknown host
vapier -> home    query A aurora
home -> vapier    response A 192.168.0.7
<end>
20040918 glibc:
vapier -> home    query A aurora.wh0rd.org
home -> vapier    response A unknown host
<end>

now, on my machines, i use this simple resolv.conf:
domain wh0rd.org
nameserver 192.168.0.1

so the question is, have i found a bug or is this behavior change on purpose ?
-mike