Re: kernel DSO

> The debugger can surely get to the DSO mapped in RAM, via the AT entry
> for example, or glibc could export the entry point... adding more cruft
> to /proc will probably not happen.

Yes, it _can_ (I've just been working on exactly that code, read
/proc/<pid>/auxv, use ptrace to extract the DSO), but it's a lot of pain
and code for something which could be completely transparent to tools
like debuggers.

I certainly believe that the number of lines of code in the debugger to
handle this well exceed the number which would be required to provide
the file as a file either in /proc, or just as a real file somewhere.

The current position is that the debugger can get all the information it
needs by jumping through rather unpleasant hoops. What I'm proposing
would give all the same information in a way which the debugger
necessarily already understands.

--
-- Jim