Resolver configuration

Hiho!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but the libc webpage
only comes up with this address. So - please forgive me...

Question is, if it is possible to modify the lookup policy of the
resolver to _not_ query the DNS for names including no dots. Example:

# host -v asdf
host -v asdf
Trying "asdf.somewhere.com"
Trying "asdf"
#

The second query results in a 40 seconds timeout, so I'd like to get
rid of it. The nameserver isn't configured by me and there seems to
be no way to change the behaviour because the responsible person is
not cooperative :-(

Do I have to set up an own DNS, or is it possible to configure this
behaviour?

Thanks in advance,
Cajus

PS: Please cc, I'm not in the list