Re: kernel DSO

On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 18:01, Alan Modra wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 05:40:58PM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > The vdso will be almost identical... except the .dynsym table in the
> > vdso is "patched" by the kernel at boot for functions like memcpy
> > to point to memcpy_cpumodel, and that sort of thing.
>
> Which would mean a prelink conflict.  Anything that calls memcpy will
> need to be relocated, unless you want to commit to a fixed memory
> location for memcpy in the vDSO.  I certainly wouldn't want that..

Well... no, on a single config, the fixup would be the same all the
time (unless the kernel version is changed or the machine itself
is changed, that is different CPU).
So unless we do randomizing, we need one prelink pass after install to
get the symbols right.

What I don't understand is how randomizing + prelink can work together

Ben.