Re: Possible problem with recent waitid changes

> I configured with `--enable-kernel=2.6.0' so the fall back code should be
> applicable. I built with gcc-3.4.2 on i686-pc-linux-gnu and the running
> kernel is stock 2.6.8.1 on SMP.

That kernel does not have the waitid system call (and the headers you
compiled against don't define the system call number macro for it), so you
are surely just using the sysdeps/posix/waitid.c code.  I suspect that the
presence of the macros like WEXITED may make bash try to use the full
features of waitid.  The sysdeps/posix code fails with ENOTSUP when asked
for a feature that is not possible without the new system call, such as
WNOWAIT.

I'm sure you can easily attach the debugger to this spinning process and
see what waitid calls it is making.