Re: static binaries and NSS

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 10:39:53PM +0200, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
> > Not only NSS modules, but whole same glibc.
>
> Yes, and this is impossible. I think we should write that it is a bad
> idea to use this function in a static linked binary, even with Jakub's
> patch.

Yes, it is a bad idea to use it in -static, similarly to using locales
related stuff and iconv (locales because locale data format from time to
time changes).
My patch was intended just for the programs which know about these issues
and for one reason or another still need to be statically linked, which
means they agree they need to be recompiled whenever glibc changes enough
to break them.
ISVs should be told if they want to be less dependent on glibc version,
they should link
-Bstatic whatever libraries they want to link statically but not \
	 libc nor libpthread -Bdynamic -lpthread
(-lpthread if needed only, obviously) against lowest glibc version
they want to support (obviously compile against headers from the
same glibc version as they are linking against).

	Jakub