Re: enable n32 and n64, and move o32 into mips/mips32

On Mar 29, 2003, Roland McGrath <roland at redhat dot com> wrote:

> You didn't say before that you didn't have a working build in your tree, so
> I presumed that you did.

The two times I started submitting the patches, I said I had the port
working as a patch against 2.3.1.  All of the patches that went in
shouldn't have affected mips-linux at all.  The patch that may
actually affect it, by moving some code to mips/mips32, while
introducing mips64-linux, is still sitting in my tree, for the very
reason that I still hadn't verified that it actually worked, or even
built.  I'm not entirely sure I didn't actually try to build
mips-linux before I started submitting my patches, that was at least 2
months ago.  A lot has happened since then, and memory fades fast.
When I started submitting the big patch I had, that had been tested
against 2.3.1, for mainline, in small pieces, I couldn't possibly test
them individually.  It didn't even make sense.  I started putting in
individual changes, that separately didn't (or at least weren't
supposed to) break anything in mips-linux, preparing for the one patch
that would enable the new mips64-linux ports.  I promised I wouldn't
check it in before I got everything to at least build, if not actually
work :-)

> I thought you were merging your working port into glibc, not
> committing unfinished code.

I am.  But that's not to say it's finished.  The kernel is still
undergoing ABI changes, and glibc has to be updated at the same time.

Thanks for the clarification on the process of submitting patches.
I'll keep that in mind.

Red Hat GCC Developer                 aoliva at {redhat dot com, gcc.gnu.org}
CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        oliva at {lsd dot ic dot unicamp dot br, gnu.org}