Re: Adding unofficial languages support?

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 05:48:41PM -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> I don't think an ISO standard listing needs to be a precondition of
> supporting a language in libc.  It is certainly best if you can get the ISO
> standard updated to include your language, but it is not reasonable to
> expect GNU users not to use whatever languages they prefer just because ISO
> is slow in assigning a code.  You do need to make sure that your team and
> the language code you choose are coordinated with the GNU translation
> project, see http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/contrib/po/HTML/.  If the
> translation project agrees on a code, I don't see why glibc should not use it.

I can see some reasoning in this, but I think it would serve all parties
to get the ISO code, and that normally takes just a few months.
Meanwhile people could start translation, with at suggested code, and
when ISO comes with the language code, then the GNU TP and libc stuff
could be aligned.

Please start the ISO process now.

Kind regards
Keld