Re: POSIX ACL API in glibc?

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 09:17:39PM +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> AFAIK this is the best current available interface. We can either use
> implement the draft in glibc (where those functions belong IMO), or
> leave it to somebody else to implement and provide them.

Someone (Andreas G) already did it..

> IMO the questions are:
> - Should the ACL functions implemented according to the draft?

I'd vote for "yes".

> - Or is there a better userland interface?

I don't know of one.

> - Should this interface go into glibc?

Personally I'd prefer a libposix1e, not sure if it should be part of
glibc.

> - Is this the appropriate time to add the interfaces to glibc?

I don't think so.  The only think that could be added now are the purely
userspace parts (e.g. conversation between different formats), as the
kernel interface hasn't been made official yet for Linux and there isn't
one yet for the hurd.  Also integration of the AIX and FreeBSD ports
might be interesting as they have slighly differen kernel ACL
interfaces.