Re: glibc: standard date/time format patch

Eduardo Pérez Ureta <eperez@it.uc3m.es> writes:

> Sure, POSIX says so. But POSIX should follow International Standards
> instead American Standards.

> I don't want my system following Standards that only apply to America.

> POSIX should be corrected about that.

The appropriate time to ask vendors to change is after POSIX has been
changed, I think.  It's better to comply with POSIX than to diverge from
it even if the divergence seems to make more logical sense.

When you take up this issue with the POSIX working group, you'll discover
that they had good reasons for standardizing the date format that they
did, and also have some ideas about how to transition to more standard
international dates (basically by having users use locales more than they
do now).

It's effectively impossible to change anything about the C locale without
breaking more software than you'd care to contemplate.  It's really not
viable to ever change it, only to stop using it if you dislike it.