libgcc-compat patch and gcc 2.95.4 on ppclinux

     Has anyone else tried to build the current glibc-2-2-branch
with gcc 2.95.4 on ppclinux? On my debian ppc sid machine, I am
finding the the patches contained in glibc-2-2-branch for
the libgcc-compat support on the powerpc build and work fine under
gcc 3.1.x. However, my attempts at building the same glibc 2.2.5
under gcc 2.95.4 have failed due to duplicate symbols for the
same symbols declared in sysdeps/powerpc/libgcc-compat.c. Isn't this
bound to happen? My understanding was that gcc 2.95.4 was flawed
and would link in these same symbols from it libgcc. Thus if
you build the libgcc-compat support in glibc-2-2-branch with
gcc 2.95.4 wouldn't these symbols be defined twice when libc6.so
is linked? Once for the copies incorrectly linked in by gcc 2.95.4
and once for the internal declarations in sysdeps/powerpc/libgcc-compat.c.
Don't we need some wrappers for this libgcc-compat support that only
allows it to be built if the gcc used is < 3.1? Thanks in advance
for any insights on this.
                            Jack
ps I do understand that libgcc-compat doesn't export these symbols
for linking. However isn't there a still a problem in terms of
symbols internal to libc6.so if libgcc brings in the same ones
as libgcc-compat has? I bring this up because I assume the same
patches exist in the trunk as well which would imply that the
trunk will only build on ppclinux under gcc >= 3.1 as well without
running into this duplicate symbols.