Re: pthread_create is failing with a return value EAGAIN

First, sending this once would be enough..

> of 2.2.4-19.3 The problem occurs after creating around 700 threads.

700 threads!  It would be best to fix your code so you don't require
that many threads.  (Unless of course you have 512 CPUs.)

> So we must definitely be hitting someother kernel limits.
> Also when the pthread_create call fails, the shell  is not able to
> fork any other processes.Even a simple 'ls' would show
>
> ksh: cannot fork - try again.
>
> Can you please let me know how to overcome this problem..?

You're probably hitting the 'max user processes' limit - it applies to
threads as well.  Try 'ulimit -a' to see it (but I thought Linux-2.4
basically had no such upper limit any more).

Regards,
Wolfram.