Re: [open-source] Re: Wish for 2002

Thomas Bushnell, BSG <tb@becket.net> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:

>> strlcpy is useful in situations where you want to just patch the
>> problem and don't want to deep analysis of the code to figure out why a
>> buffer is being used.  This is an appropriate approach for a porter to
>> take.  It's not clear to me that this is an appropriate approach for a
>> maintainer to take.

> Sure, but libc should be useful for porters too.

Yes, on that I generally agree, and I could see some utility in having
those functions available to people porting software to Linux, similarly
to how having them available in the BSD libc helps people porting software
to BSD.

I wasn't so much disagreeing with the assertion that they should be in
glibc as I was discussing the question of whether they're the right
approach for the maintainer of a package to use.