Re: PATCH: glibc port to solaris2

> Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 22:33:44 +0100
> From: ohme@dialeasy.de (Gert Ohme)
> To: esp5@rama.comp.pge.com
> Subject: Re: PATCH: glibc port to solaris2
> Cc: libc-alpha@sources.redhat.com
>
> Thanks Ed!
>
> i will take a close look at your work. Please don't get impatient;
> it will take some time for sure.
>
> It may sound boring to you; but would it would be really helpful
> if you tell the community about the configure-parameters you use,
> as well as the prerequisites, like

./configure --prefix=.... --enable-hacker-mode

> 	SHELL bash ? which version?

bash 2.05.. I tried solaris' 'sh' didn't work, needed to link bash to '/bin/sh',
setting path did not help either.

> 	gcc;         if that, which version?

gcc-2.95.3
>                      have you used Jakubs patches when building gcc?

hmm. what are Jakubs patches?

> 	binutils;    if that, which version?

binutils-2.11.2

> 	gettext;     if so, which version?

I'm not using gettext; for whatever reason, gettext is coring inside of
textdomain__... I'm busy checking that out right now..

> last not least which machinetype are you using to build glibc,
> simply all of those things you feel worth to mention.
>

> Concerning the segfault you mention with ./ld.so,  on one side i am little
> bit confused, because i have never noticed this command containg parameters
> involving `./rpcgen' , when i have made builds of glibc (CVS i use).
>
> Aside this i kindly ask you to look if your build contains a hint, that
> the file
> 	./sysdeps/sparc/sparc32/dl-machine.h
> is involved while building ld.so, to be exact, in the compilation of the
> objectfile elf/rtld.os.
> Please tell me, if the file ./elf/rtld.d (which should be left after
> your build ) contains the string "../sysdeps/sparc/sparc32/dl-machine.h"
>
> It's because i have the feeling, that the segfault you mention is caused
> by some Linux-specific assumptions in the startup-code of dl-machine.h,
> which simply cannot work under Solaris.

yeah... its there... and if you have a patch I'd appreciate it..

Ed
> I would offer you another patch to check out, if you notice this string too.
>
> thanks again,

yeah no problem. If you've got checkin permissions feel free to take the patch
and incorporate whatever you'd like..

Anyways, let me know about Jakubs' patches... what's really strange is that
msgtext worked fine on a 2.6 solaris sun4u machine.. and its not working on my
solaris sun4m machine.

I'm still tracking it down..

Ed