Re: 2 problems with sprof

"H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org> writes:

> Did you mean the number of text segments in the program header is
> different between DSO and executable? I don't think it is the case.

No, the total number of text segments you have to profile.

> I don't think they are the same problem.

It's only not the same with regard to the data structures created and
the dynamic nature of loading and unloading.  The rest is the same.

> May I suggest we do
>
> LD_PROFILE=dso1:dso2...		# profile a list of DSOs
> LD_PROFILE_EXEC=		# profile executable
> LD_PROFILE_ALL=			# profile all, including executable

I don't see why, and how.  ld.so cannot profile the executable with
the same mechanisms.  And it's the wrong place to start.

I think what you want is profiling with dynamic linking just as I
mentioned.  Then leave ld.so out.

> Can we change HZ in kernel to get high-resolution timer?

No, that's no solution.  What you need is POSIX timer support in the
kernel.  Anoter of these real-world things the kernel people ignore
since they don't need it themselves.