ld.so.lds on ppc?

Hello,
    I was wondering if anyone knew why the build process on ppc
doesn't use a ld.so.lds to generate ld.so much as libc.so.lds
is used to generate libc.so. I understand i386 uses a ld.so.lds.
Also is it really true that the ld.so.1 used on the ppc is built
with identical sources as the ld.so.2 on i386? That is the ld.so
is only different in version number between the platforms and
this difference in versioning doesn't reflect real differences in
the source code or build process. Thanks for any information as
I was always curious why ppc didn't just sync up with i386 and
use a ld.so.2 versioning when we went into the glibc source tree
in 2.1.
               Jack Howarth