Re: RFC: ELF prelinker - 0.1.1

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 10:12:55AM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> I'm wondering whether you already support something like `take these
> libraries into account, but don't change them'.  This would be nice to
> do incremental prelinking against system libraries, but still as a
> regular user, for example, right after building a bunch of new
> libraries and in preparation to replacing them in the system.

Not yet, something like that is on the todo list and some code is in for
that too. There is some code (although it needs updating) to save/load
the details of all found libraries (and if necessary binaries too) into a
cache file. The goal is that appart from the -a option, you can specify
directories and/or libraries/binaries on the command line. This would I
think what you want. If -a was run without -m (--conserve-memory) option,
then only libraries need to be in the cache and the prelinker just finds
slots for them (since no libraries overlap). -m is more tricky, since
information about all prelinked binaries is interesting as well and, if say
libfoo and libbar never existed in the same binary, got assigned the same
virtual space and you're incrementally prelinking a binary or library which
has them together, you won't be able to prelink the binary at all (well,
running prelink -amf would cure it if it includes the binary in question).
That's the reason why -m is not the default, it is usable without problems
only if just non-incremental prelinking is done (or one is not trying to
prelink stuff with unusual library combinations).

	Jakub