Re: [tkoeller@gmx.net] libc/2356: glibc-2.2.3 installation problem

>do you have any ideas how to fix this?

>	After building glibc-2.2.3, I type 'make install'. At some point,
>	the installation aborts with an error message similar to
>	'libc.so.6: Missing symbol GLIBC_2.2.3, required by libpthread.so'

This is the reason we tell users not to try to install glibc themselves.  To
make it work, libpthread needs to be treated as carefully as ld.so and libc.so
are: its version number needs to have at least the same granularity as libc's
does, and they need to have their symlinks set up at the same time.

(Strictly, libpthread's version number needs to change whenever there is a
change to libc's interface that might affect the set of symbols libpthread
links against.  In practice it would probably be too much effort to track this
carefully; just changing it for every release seems like an easier solution.)

I'm not sure it's worth worrying about.  As has been noted before, J. Random
User probably ought to be using RPM or dpkg or something rather than "make
install".  The latter is always going to be comparitively fragile.

p.

PGP signature