gcc bug impacts glibc cvs

   I haven't seen any feedback from Ulrich concerning this
cross-platform gcc bug that prevents undefined weak symbols
from working properly. The discussion so far on the gcc-bugs
mailing list includes...

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2001-03/msg00380.html
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2001-03/msg00381.html
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2001-03/msg00382.html
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2001-03/msg00383.html

This is in response to Franz Sirl's proposed patches
to fix the problems glibc cvs has on linuxppc (and
perhaps other platforms).

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-alpha/2001-03/msg00016.html
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-alpha/2001-03/msg00019.html
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-alpha/2001-03/msg00020.html

If, as Geoff observes, undefined weak symbol usage is broken
in gcc 2.95.3 and 3.0, shouldn't we avoid it for now?
                 Jack
ps I did try Franz's suggested patch from...
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-alpha/2001-03/msg00020.html
...and glibc cvs complies fine and passes all of make check
with that suggested hack.