Re: Problematic linking between glibc and shared libgcc

    Russ> Okay.  So what I'll immediately do is hack either gcc or our
    Russ> software build process to add the directory libgcc is
    Russ> located in to the rpath (no LD_LIBRARY_PATH, ick) for that
    Russ> particular case.  Hm.  Why can't gcc do that by default in
    Russ> the case that it links with a shared libgcc?

It's been a long-standing GCC policy not to use -rpath (or equivalent)
when linking with any shared library so that people can move the
libraries around later.

The argument for -rpath are that it makes things easier for users if
you *don't* move stuff; the argument it against is that it makes
things harder if you do.

Every now and then this gets debated, but it never gets changed. :-)

Anyhow, I think it's entirely reasonable for you to add -rpath to your
local installation, and I'm glad you think you've got a workable
solution.