first test release for 2.2.1

I've placed on

  ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/glibc/releases

the files

  glibc-2.2.1pre1.tar.bz2              (also .gz)
  glibc-2.2-2.2.1pre1.xdelta
  glibc-linuxthreads-2.2.1pre1.tar.gz

This is the first test release for glibc 2.2.1.  It contains almost
exclusively bug fixes and is assumed to be more stable than 2.2 (which
was a decent release without major bugs).  We have fixed quite a few
bugs and it will be worthwhile for everybody to upgrade to 2.2.1 once
we are done.  For now please test this release.

The .xdelta file in the list above replaces the usual diff.  I was not
able to produce a diff since some files which changed are regarded as
binaries by diff and therefore cannot be patched.  xdelta (version 1
that is) does not have this limitation.  I'll see whether I can come
up with a mechanism to automatically generate a patch/shell script
combination to work around this problem for upcoming releases.  If
this isn't possible xdelta will be used exclusively.

Please report all problems to the libc-alpha@sources.redhat.com
mailing list.

Thanks,