Re: upgrade problem

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 04:27:34PM +0100, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

>  > I have an upgrade problem from glibc 2.1.3 to glibc 2.1.97. When the
>  > glibc is updated on the system, a lot of applications stop resolving
>  > names and looking up user info. For example openssh server doesn't
>  > work anymore without a restart.
>
> You didn't reboot at all?  I always reboot afterwards to try to do the
> update in single user mode - or with as less applications running as
> possible.

We need to reboot when upgrading Linux now? :) Honestly though, this is
the only problem with in place upgrades. It's something I have to contend
with now for Debian (once again), and the solution is mostly a hack (a
hardcoded list of programs to restart on upgrade).

Any ideas from the libc folk about this? :)