Re: upgrade problem

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 11:09:56AM +0100, Frederic Lepied wrote:
> I have an upgrade problem from glibc 2.1.3 to glibc 2.1.97. When the
> glibc is updated on the system, a lot of applications stop resolving
> names and looking up user info. For example openssh server doesn't
> work anymore without a restart.
>
> After instrumenting the glibc 2.1.3, I found that dynamic loading of
> the libnss was failing.  It seems to come from the new libnss* 2.1.97
> libs that need symbols from GLIBC 2.2 which are not present because
> the running programs are still linked with the 2.1.3 glibc.

This was the same with the 2.0 -> 2.1 upgrade. I've been dealing with this
problem myself, and although there is nothing to fix it now (can't go back
and fix glibc 2.1.3), I've thought about some possible solutions, but they
all seem like hacks.

Why don't the modules stay loaded after the first call to them? I thought
the answer to this was because nsswitch.conf might change, and the modules
were unloaded in case that changed, but the nss functions don't seem to
reread this file. Why not leave the modules loaded in memory after the
first dlopen (<- questions is directed at libc-alpha, not you :)?

Ben