Re: bad side-effects of new locale design

Stanislav Brabec <utx@penguin.cz> writes:

> Examples (I have strace without locale support):
> LANG=C LANGUAGE=czech strace /
> execve("/", ["/"], [/* 47 vars */])     = 0
> strace: exec: P??stup odm?tnut

That's no nad design.  The program just does what you told it to.  The
C locale uses ASCII as the charset.  I can show you environments
(e.g., mine) where the old behavior led to problems.

> Because (for example Czech) messages are stored in directory
> @datadir@/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES, and new locale is stored in
> @libdir@/locale/cs_CZ, if used LANG=cs instead of LANG=czech, message
> catalogs are recognized, but locale not
> (if LANG is set to czech, all is correct):

This doesn't make any sense.  What do the directories and the locale
aliases have to do with each other?

> Case 1 can be very painfull and needs fix.

The program has to be fixed.

-