Re: glibc documentation rebrush

 > Hello,
 > during a recent project, I found a few minor errors in the glibc info
 > documentation, minor, yet frustrating. Judging from that, I guess that
 > there are a lot of wrong and missing details in there, so I wonder if
 > anyone is interested in doing a complete rebrush.

 > At first, I thought about starting a full rewrite, but that's probably
 > *far* too much for a casual user of C as me... :-)

 > So, the idea is to

 > - read the whole document, section by section, rewrite ambiguous parts,
 > clarify things when needed

 > - compare documentation of a function with its implementation (there have
 > been a lot of changes since the doc and the new libc), asking the core
 > developers for clarifications when necessairy

 > - check every example source code if it's actually working (some of the
 > examples in the threads documentation tested didn't!)

 > - add new examples where needed. In fact, I think that there should be an
 > example for every function (unless it serves a really trivial task).
 > Examples usually say more than pages of documentation.

 > - ask the core developers (those who actually wrote a particular function
 > or sub-library) to review the re-edited documentation and sync it back with
 > the distribution

And: Add documentation where it's missing.  Ulrich maintains a list of
functions without any documentation so far.

 > I don't have a deadline to follow and will surely take a *long* of time to
 > do this, since this is not be my first priority and I am not in a hurry.
 > However, anyone who wishes to join shall feel free to contact me, since
 > this task can easily be shared.
If you do this, please send small patches, don't keep your patches for
months.  This way it's easier to review them.

 > Excuse my ignorance, but who maintains the manual pages for the glibc?
 > (e.g., man 3 printf) These should be in sync with the glibc info page, as
 > well, so it could be done at the same time...
Andries <Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl> is responsible for them.  I'll try to
send him information when I gets reports but no real effort is done
from the glibc side to synch the manual pages.

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger
  SuSE Labs aj@suse.de