Re: resolver with IPv6 transport support

<venaas@nvg.ntnu.no> writes:

> I hope someone more experienced can take a careful look at
> the patch, I might have missed something. The patch can be
> found at

I looked at the patch.  In general, it looks good.  But there are a
few problems:

- we've updated the resolver in glibc very recently.  This causes lots
  of conflicts and leaves some functionality without IPv6 support.  This
  would have to be corrected.

  Also, did you verified that the thread-local resolver data is handled
  correctly?

- the size of the _res structure changes and also the offsets of elements
  users might access.  It is a horribly stupid idea to let programs use
  _res but that's what the interface demands.

  Eventually we have to change the size of the structure.  This will
  require ugly backward compatibility hacks but might be doable.

  What I'm a bit worried about is the memory requirement.  Using
  sockaddr_storage gives you 10 out of ten points for style, but no
  point for efficiency.  The resolver status (especially if you consider
  the sort_list as well) is needed in every thread and therefore size
  counts.

If you can update your patch for the current CVS version (or wait 'til
2.1.92) then we'll see what we can do about the _res variable size
change.

Thanks,