Re: [(nowhere)] libc/1808: ld.so on powerpc-redhat-linux-gnu with ld -Ttext ...

Geoff Keating wrote:
> > I could get what I want by patching TEXT_START_ADDR in
> > ld/emulparams/elf32ppc*.sh and remaking ld and using that (of course
> > the result still cannot deal with -Ttext <addr>, where addr is below
> > TEXT_START_ADDR), but that's not a useful general solution (but at
> > least I can test my latest changes).
>
> This is actually the general solution.  Just build your own script and
> ship it with your application, and use the -T flag to ld.

Thanks for the suggestion (I was thinking about rebuilding ld); I hope
that won't be any less portable than -Ttext (with the bug(?) in GNU
ld, it should be more portable).

> Do you happen to know if similar behaviour happens on other platforms?

On Alpha and i386 ld-2.9.1 gives an error when linking with -Ttext, so
I cannot tell.

On MIPS-based machines I also need to set the text segment.  With the
MIPS ld it works with the -T flag; I have no experience with GNU ld
and glibc there.

- anton