Re: problems with getaddrinfo() and _res.options

Philip Blundell <Philip.Blundell@pobox.com> writes:

> >As a consequence of these changes getaddrinfo() now does not return
> >the IPv4 and IPv6 address of a host if AF_UNSPEC is passed in as the
> >protocol.  This is another change, but again a useful one.
>
> This will break all existing dual-stack applications.  Standard
> practice up until now has been to use AF_UNSPEC and expect to get
> back both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.  (I think this is true for all
> platforms, not just Linux.)

Why, it makes no sense.  If you can handle both, IPv4 and IPv6, why
should you get the mapped IPv4 address back?  I just tried it on
Solaris 8.  You only get the IPv4 address.

Anyway, it can be changed easily.  And now it can be done consistently
which was not the case with the code before the change.