Re: What needs to be recompiled when upgrading to 2.1?

> cc: drepper@cygnus.com (Ulrich Drepper), libc-alpha@cygnus.com
> Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 07:47:14 -0400
> From: Horst von Brand <vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl>

> What still seems not to work is new glibc (2.0.108 here) + pam: RedHat's
> rpm doesn't find users/groups, and a newly compiled login from
> util-linux-2.9g won't let you in.

I have recompiled pam-0.64-2 under glibc (it was 2.0.94 at the time,
but the binary still works), and it seems to work fine.  I had to make
some changes:

* Tue Jul 07 1998 Geoff Keating  <geoffk@ozemail.com.au>

- Patch for glibc 2.1
- Use the glibc password database locking routines
- Make upperLOWER readable, there's no reason not to.
- Don't require /bin/sh for %post.

I don't remember what these were, but I think the second one is the
critical one (the first is just the usual "prototype strdup/treat
stderr as a constant/etc" fix).

I don't know much about backward _binary_ compatibility.  I would
expect there is none, on my system libpam.so is not linked against
libc and therefore can be expected to break every time libc is
upgraded, if not more often.  In fact, I'm amazed it works at all now.

--
Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@ozemail.com.au>