gettext and locale charset

Does gettext() support multiple charsets on output? Consider situation,
where we have .mo language files installed with national characters
in ISO-8859-2. The LC_MESSAGES is set to "pl_PL.UTF-8", and the display
is UTF-8 capable. The translated strings are still displayed with
ISO encoded characters, which are invalid under UTF-8.

Which is correct solution to this problem? Should I have different .mo
sets both for ISO and UTF-8? Or will it be solved on glibc level? It
seems to be easy using gconv().

--
Pawel Krawczyk, CETI internet, Krakow. http://ceti.pl/~kravietz/