Re: help upgrading to 2.1.2

Andreas Jaeger wrote:

> [...]
>  > ../crypt/sysdeps/unix/crypt_util.c:268: libc-lock.h: No such file or directory
>
>  > Any suggestions appreciated.  Thanks,
> RTFM.

Good advice, and I did.  I've reread it, too, but there's still
a problem.

> Andreas
>
> P.S. INSTALL file, README and FAQ all tell you about the location of
> the crypt add-on.

If by location, you mean, where to get it on the web, then I followed
the instructions in INSTALL:

change in the future.  Get it from the same place you got the main
bundle; the file is `glibc-linuxthreads-VERSION.tar.gz'.  Support for
the `crypt' function is distributed separately because of United States
export restrictions.  If you are outside the US or Canada, you must get
`crypt' support from a site outside the US, such as `ftp.gwdg.de'.
`ftp.gwdg.de' has the crypt distribution in `pub/linux/glibc'.  (Most
non-US mirrors of `ftp.gnu.org' will have it too.)  The file you need
is `glibc-crypt-VERSION.tar.gz'.

Now ftp.gnu.org has glibc-crypt-2.0.6.tar.gz as the latest version, so that's
the one I downloaded.  Following the FM, I unpacked the crypt and
./configured with addons enabled; configure found it and seemed happy.

One of the FM's, the README file, makes specific mention of the crypt
tarball as 'glibc-crypt-2.1.2.tar.gz', which may be the problem, and which
may be what you mean by "the location of the crypt add-on".  The FM's
say that you'll find it where you got the glibc tarball, but that's not
the case --- the glibc-2.1.2.tar.gz file often only has crypt files to 2.0.6.

My apologies for wasted bandwidth if the trivial solution to the
compile problem is to get a different crypt.   I should have guessed that
the right 'crypt' file  would be harder to find than usual.  Guess that's
part of the point of arms control.

John